Thursday, March 24, 2011

Manuscript Venting

I have been writing a manuscript and it seems forever, of course, considering going through every responsible co-author's comments and edition. While the overall goal of this endeavor is to get the manuscript past the reviewers’ wrath or unforeseen comments, the main author or the first author unavoidably seems to bear the brunt of other co-authors’ irresponsibility and reckless comments. As to fulfill the entire business of manuscript publication, we tried every possible technique to prove that our finding might be useful for other researchers in the same field who might be toying with the idea of testing his hypothesis in this very technique.

Preparing the main manuscript, figures, tables, supplementary and all, I cannot help but to think of the main author as an expert civil engineer who carefully designs the floor plan or lay the groundwork for this entire industry in his hands. On the other hand, there are people or quite commonly known as VIPs, coming late and comment this and that while pointing their fingers aimlessly. Because of their astute comment on reminding putting the toilet tissue in the toilet, they are well received and claimed “Very professional advice”. 

I am not a whiner myself and do the job to my best. My principle is “Give credits where credit is due.” Don’t patronize me just because you made a very useful edition. I struggled myself learning the journal particular format and author guideline policy while keeping the writing as concise and grammar error free. Besides, I am not paid to write only manuscript; my job entails doing benchwork for ongoing project as well. I commend every one if our purpose is to make our paper look good, and outstanding. But, I’ll say again, BUT!!!.... don’t try to condescend me as if my particular writing is rookie. If you dare, why not you develop your own idea and take the first author responsibility? 

No comments:

Post a Comment